Cathedral Church of the Redemption
Location: Among the magnetic heritages built in Delhi, Cathedral Church of the redemption is a magnificent church located in the east of Parliament House in New Delhi and Rashtrapati Bhavan that was accommodated by the then British Viceroy.
Origin: Early decades of 1900s
Year of inauguration: 18th January, 1931
History: The iconic monument of Delhi, i.e. Cathedral Church of the Redemption, has its traces in the early 1900s, the period when Rev. T. R, Dixon was deployed as the clergyman ministering to the Church for satisfying the spiritual needs of the British officers resided in Delhi.
Donation was wholeheartedly given by the royals, viceroys, Christians and other religious people that had been collected as a handsome amount for meeting the expenses of construction of the Church. Few of the prior donors were King George and Queen Mary along with the Indian Church Aid Association.
The chief engineer in 1925 was directed to draft a map of the Church with the provision of 300-seats in Church that incurred the total expense of Rs. 1.5 lakh. It took eight years for the completion of the ‘Cathedral Church’ that was concluded in the year 1935. The door of Cathedral Church was opened for the general public to serve their spiritual mottos in the same shrine dedicated to Jesus Christ on Sunday 18th January, 1931.
Architect: Henry Medd
Architecture: The architect ‘Henry Medd’ designed this church in such a scientific manner that the effect of the extreme summers eliminates worse impact of heaty waves by retaining cool ambience inside where serenity lives immortally. The shape of the church evokes the image of a birthday cake on the top of which a candle is placed. The glimpse of magnificent arches having high curves and delicate domes glued to the eyes of the then Viceroy Lord Irwin. Pleased with the exhibition of such a marvelous structure, Lord Irwin present ‘an organ’ and a ‘silver cross’ to the Church as gifts.
Education and Health: The Cathedral Church of the Redemption is on carrying on its services to the community through its welfare and hospitable activities, such as imparting education and treatment of health. It is one of the prestigious institutions under the diocese that funds and provides aid to the laid ahead institutions:
- St. Stephen’s College
- St. Thomas School
- Queen Mary’s School
- The Victoria School
- St. Stephen’s Hospital and the LPCEF