Sunehri Masjid, Chandni Chowk
Location: The heritage shrine named as ‘Sunehri Masjid’ is built near the Gurudwara ‘Sis Ganj Sahib’ in the busiest market hub ‘Chandni Chowk’, Delhi. Former Name of the mosque (Masjid): Roshan-od-Dowala mosque
Built by: Roshan-ud-Daula Zafar Khan
Revamped by: Bahadurshah Zafar (in 1852)
Year of building: 1721-22
- The mosque is the only witness of the blood-shed that the Persian invader Nader Shah ordered for taking revenge of being insulted while he was moving out of his palace mounted on the horse back. He ordered to flow the stream of blood as he was pelted with stones from the balconies and windows of the mosque. One of his soldiers accompanying him was shot dead.
- Resemblance: The mosque shares its resemblance as the fleeing beauty of a haiku.
- Pillars: The pillars of this historical mosque are crafted with green flower-shaped designs that evoke the beauty of a tree resorting creepers on them.
- Doors: The doors are flanked with arches at the top tinted with light grey.
- Roof: The pattern of Jaali balustrade is beautifully embedded at the border line of the roof. The corners are embellished with floral designs.
- Railings: The railing of the courtyard is laden with the miniature domes at the regular intervals.
- Domes: The gilded copper domes add more grace to the courtyard proving the name of the mosque ‘Sunheri’ that means ‘golden’.
- Courtyards: There are three courtyards.
- Facing: The facing of the shrine faces Seesganj Gurudwara where the ninth Sikh Guru was beheaded by the Emperor Aurangzeb.
- Platform: The structure of the mosque is erected on a 2.1 m high plinth or platform.
- Staircase: The narrow staircase opens the way to the marble courtyard.
- Niches: The replicas of the Quran are kept on the niches inside the chambers meant for prayer.