Golden temple aka Sri Harmandir Sahib consists the historical chronicles of 19th century related to Sikh religion which is four hundred years older. This pious pilgrimage is situated in Amritsar which literally connotes the pool of nectar. The swarm of international tourists keeps on hitting this holy city that is located in the north-west border of India which is 29 km away from the Wagah Border-a territory divider or India and Pakistan. It is constructed on the land which was gifted by Mughal emperor Akbar to Guru Ramdas.
Who constructed Darbar Sahib of Golden temple?
- Guru Ram Das sahib excavated or dug Amritsar Sarovar tank in 1587 and accomplished it till 1577. Mian Mir was invited by Guru Arjan Dev on 3rd January, 1588 to lay the foundation of Darbar Sahib in golden temple due to his admiring love and respect for him as Mian Mir was the man of supernatural power by god’s grace and holy soul too. This monument was completed by 1601 and the installation of Sikh’s Holy Scripture Guru Granth Sahib was done on 16th August, 1604.
Description of Golden temple:
- Akal Takht (the throne of almighty/ god) was setup by Guru Hargobind Sahib in 1609. Two flags epitomizing temporal and spiritual authority have been installed in front of Akal Takht Sahib. Piri and Miri are the two swords those were worn by Guru Hargobind Sahib here. It has witnessed the history of demolition twice, once by the hands of despotic Afghans and later under other Indian dynasties.
- The lotus shapes blend of Hindu and Muslim architecture ‘Golden temple’ looks like a pearl surrounded by Amrit Sarovar.
- Holy extracts from Guru Granth Sahib have been adorning beside the threshold of the arched intricate inlay designs at the entrance and this principal entrance is constructed under a Victorian clock that is known as Darshani Deori.
- This two storeyed building of golden temple has an underground part which is embellished with inlaid flower and animal motifs in the pietradura style.
- The upper dome is designed in the form of inverted lotus, symbolizing the problem existing in the world, which is plated with gold leaves.
- Four entrances interpret openness of Sikhism and the walls within it are beautifully embedded with wooden panels on which inlay work of silver and gold is carved.
- Adi Granth- a pious scripture is kept resting on the throne beneath a jeweled encrusted canopy in a pink shroud.
- The holy ritual of its verses’ recitation lasts for 4 hours while its complete course takes 48 hours.