Bhadrakali Temple, Andhra Pradesh
Location: The sacred Hindu temple ‘Bhadrakali (Gudi) temple’ is constructed at the bank of ‘Bhadrakali Lake’ between Hanamkonda and Warangal that is 1.5 Km away from Government polytechnic in Andhra Pradesh, India.
Prime deity: Goddess ‘Bhadrakali’.
Famous occasion to visit:
- Vijayadashmi (Dussehra)
- Vasantha navratras
It’s construction Period: 1950 A.D. (recent structure of temple)
Originally built by:
- The temple has its origin’s root in 625 A.D. when it was built by King Pulakesi II of Chalukya Empire for symbolizing his win over Vengi region of Andhra Desham.
- King Kakatiya belonging to ‘Orugallu Dyansty’ adopted goddess ‘Bhadrakali’ as their ‘Kuldevi’.
- Ala-ud-din Khilji’s general Malik Kafur
- Ghiasu- ud Din Tughlak
- Bhahamani Sultans
- Golconda Kings
Revamped (renovated) by: Sri Ganapathi Sastri alias B.S. Ganesh Rao of Karnataka who shifted to Warangal in 1940s & revamped the demolished structure of ‘Bhadrakali Temple’ with the other reverends such as Sri Mudumbai Ramanujacharya,Sri Maganlal Sameja, Brahmasri Sri Hari Radhakrishnamurthy, Adluri Seetharama Shastry, Vangala Guravaiah, Thandra Venkata Rama Narsaiah, Mahatapaswini Mangalambika and Tankasala Narasimha Rao along with other locales in1950s.
Caretaking authority (current): Late Sri Ganapathi Sastri’s son Seshagiri Rao.
Description of the temple:
- Main idol: The prime idol of goddess Bhadrakali is sculpted on 2.7 X 2.7 meters square & is erected facing towards west direction armed in her 8 hands depicting lord Shiva under her feet. Sree Chakram and Utsav Vigrahas of goddess are placed in front of the main idol.
- Other Idols:
- A lion’s image as the vahana (commuter) of the Goddess is enshrined in the opposite sanctum sanctorum (innermost chamber of the shrine) along Dhwaja Sthambam, Balipeetham & the idols of Uma Maheshwara, Shiva Linga, Subramanya Swamy , lord Hanuman and Navagrahas.
- Recently addition to the temple’s structure: Alaya Shikaram, Maha Mantapam. Recently Sri Vallabha Ganapathi temple and temple Parikrama.
- Adjoining shrines (temples):
- Padamakshi temple
- Sri Shirdi Sai Baba
- Sri Narasimha Swamy temple
- Sri Pothuluri Veerabrahmendra Swamy temple