Akshardham Temple (Delhi)
Spirituality seems spectacular in the splendid abode of Akshardham temple. The spiritual head of BAPS Swaminarayan Sanstha, late Yogiji Maharaj, had devised his master plan of establishing a holy abode of god at the bank of river Yamuna in 1968. Before his planning took a concrete structure of a temple at his desired spot, he died later in 1971. But the strife of his successor paid off when DDA gave its green signal to its architectural construction at the spot where they demanded.
Location: The Hindu temple of Akshardham Temple aka Swaminarayan Akshardham is located in the heart of India, i.e. Delhi at the bank of river Yamuna.
Structure of the temple:
- Length: 370 ft (110 m)
- Width:316 ft (96 m)
- Height: 141 ft (43m)
- Architectural Style: Vedic style of architecture namely Sthapatya Shastra.
- Carved idols and embedded intricate designs: Flora, fauna, dancers, musicians, sages, devotees, Acharya and Hindu deities.
- Materials used in building construction: Rajasthani pink sandstone and Italian Carrara marble without using concrete and steel.
- Material used in manufacturing statues:
- Number of pillars: 234 embellished pillars.
- Number of Domes: 9 domes
- Number of Statues: 20,000 statues
- Gajendra pith: It elucidates the historic importance of elephants via their carved design embossing elephants of 148 scale sized of 3000 tons.
- The centralstatue of Swaminarayanis installed under the central dome of 11 ft high that is surrounded be the idols of Sita Ram, Radha Krishna, Shiv Parvati and Lakshmi Narayan.
Exhibitory premises of the temple:
- Hall of values aka ‘Sahajanand Pradarshan’: This hall of values historically signifies the glimpse of Swaminarayan’s life via panorama and robotic display symbolizing the vitality of peace, harmony, cordial relation, humility, hospitable services and devotion to god. 15 dioramas (pictorial presentation) using robotics, fiber optics, light, sound effects, dialogue and music including world’s smallest animatronics robot form of Ghanshyam Maharaj are also exhibited.
- Neelkantha Kalyan Yatra Theatre:
- Size of the screen: 85 ft X 65 ft.
- Theme based religious movie: Neelkantha yatra, Mystic India named movies are telecasted.
- Neelkantha Varni’s idolis located of 27 ft made of bronze.
- Musical fountain: It is considered to be the largest step well where Yagna Kund is located at it foot.
- Measurement: 300 ft X 300 ft
- No. of Steps: 2, 870
- No. of small shrines: 108
- Design style:Panchratra Shastra of Jayaakhya Samhita
- Boat ride aka ‘Sanskrit Vihar’: On peacock shaped boats, people explore the artificial Takshashila (the first university of the world), Chemistry lab, ancient hospitals and bazaars.
- Garden of India aka ‘Bharat upvan’: Bronze sculptures of women, children, freedom martyrs, national heroes depicting Indian culture and history are queued up here.
- Yogi Hraday Kamal: Its stones are engraved with quotes from world’s laminating renowned figures like Martin Luther King, Shakespeare and Mahatma Gandhi etc.
- Narayan Sarovar: The pious water springing out of 108 gaumukhs signifying Janmangal Namavali (108 names of holy gods) from 151 rivers and lakes of India has been brimmed here.
- Premvati Ahargruh: A wise architectural design modeled on Ellora and Ajanta caves of Maharashtra, India and Ayurvedic bazaar cater vegetarian Indian food.
- AARSH Centre (Akshardham centre for applied research in social harmony): research and practice on social harmony, education, medicare, tribal and rural welfare, ecological and cultural topics have been performed here.